Emergency Volunteering CREW Animation
CREW stands for Community Response to Extreme Weather – and that’s exactly what it is. EV CREW is a volunteer referral service managed by Volunteering Queensland. EV CREW works with government and organisations to provide volunteer support for all aspects of disasters. The EV CREW team have referred more than 30,000 volunteers across Queensland and have helped shape community recovery and reduce the impact of disasters by including the widespread support of volunteers in a safe and considered way.
"Through the eyes of..." Short Film
Volunteering Queensland proudly presents "Through the eyes of..." a short film released as part of Resilience Week, that shows the perspectives of many involved in the Emergency Volunteering (EV) CREW process, from the Director of Social Engagement, to Brisbane's Lord Mayor, to the very volunteers who dedicate their time to this important initiative.
"The important thing is, when a disaster strikes you need to be able to respond quickly. Emergency Volunteering CREW are in the position where they can respond quickly. That's of great relief and assistance to Brisbane City Council." - Lord Mayor Graham Quirk
EV CREW is managed by a dedicated team of volunteers, staff and over 500 fully trained emergency phase volunteers. Their hard work has resulted in some amazing achievements thus far.
- EV CREW have assisted in more than 130 volunteer campaigns since inception – some for up to 22 months at a time.
- More than 120,000 people who registered their offer of assistance have been managed since 2008.
- Over 80,000 volunteers are currently registered with EV CREW.
- Volunteering Queensland has partnered with Volunteering ACT to deliver EV CREW in the nation’s capital.
- EV CREW has been recognised and commended by worldwide organisations including the UN, UNESCO and the World Bank, as well as the British and Brazilian governments.
- EV CREW was awarded a ‘Highly Commended’ at the Resilient Australia Awards – Queensland 2013.
- Together with Volunteering Queensland, EV CREW advocates and provides policy advice to local and state government on volunteer management and involvement in disasters.
- EV CREW has partnered with over 70 disaster management agencies to improve their volunteer management capacity, advising in training, debriefing, communications, health and safety, insurance, rights and responsibilities and professional development.