Volunteering Queensland has developed READY QLD to inform Queenslanders about preparedness for natural disasters and provide updates on emergency volunteering news and current opportunities.
Key things you can do on the App
- Sign up to the Emergency Volunteering CREW to be an emergency volunteer
- See current emergency volunteering opportunities
- Access all the key contacts for emergencies in one place and save your own emergency contacts
- Watch short disaster preparedness and response videos
- Find out what you need to have in your emergency stay/go kit (and check them off when you've got them)
- Read the latest news from our Blog
STEPS: How to use the App
- Download for iPhone or Android
- Follow the instructions to install the App
- Use the icons on the homepage to navigate
- Fill in your 'profile' details
READY QLD is the result of engagement with the community and key industry representatives from disaster affected areas throughout Queensland. Particular emphasis has been placed upon meaningfully targeting and responding to youth needs.
Volunteering Queensland designed READY QLD in collaboration with the University of Queensland and ACCLARIO. The project has been made possible through the joint Federal and State Government funded Natural Disaster Resilience Program (NDRP).
So, why did we do it? Why is an Emergency Smartphone App important?
There are a few reasons. Firstly, Australia is a 'smartphone nation'. Secondly, "communication is a critical issue for building community resilience and trust. While a large number of people rely on television and radio for their information during emergencies, there is growing demand (especially from younger people) for emergency services to make better use of internet technology. Devices such as iPhones have the capability to provide real-time reports and for users to contribute with high-quality information. Social networks such as Twitter and Facebook are increasingly being used to post up-to-the-minute news."
READY QLD is based on stakeholder-driven research with young people across Queensland. We invited their opinions on smartphone apps, their thoughts, needs and experiences during disasters and their communication preferences. Read more details about the research process and final results in the Emergency App - Final Report
Here's a video of us launching the READY QLD app with former Queensland premier Anna Bligh: