ACT Fire & Rescue: Power points & power boards

ACT Fire & Rescue is urging residents to consider what electrical fire hazards they may have in their home this winter. The focus of this year’s annual Winter Home Fire Safety campaign focuses on power boards. The message to the community is “Keep it neat and it won’t overheat”. Overloaded power points and power boards can overheat and cause a fire in your home.

Last year of the fires deemed to be caused by electrical equipment, over a third occurred in winter. At May 31 this year, 21% of all fires attended by ACT Fire & Rescue have been the result of electrical equipment.

Face the facts

To prevent this from happening:

  • Never overload power points;
  • Never connect power boards or double adaptors together;
  • Check power boards for signs of damage or discolouration. If found discard immediately.
  • Buy quality power boards with an overload protection device or RCD; and
  • Provide adequate ventilation around the power boards.
  • Consider hiring a licensed electrician to install power points to avoid excessive use of power boards

For more tips on electrical safety, phone 132 281 or visit ActewAGL